What is the difference between LED bulb and METAL HALIDE bulb?
While traditional light towers are equipped with Metal Halide floodlights, in the last year Generac Mobile – our partner is replacing this old technology with the high efficient LED lamps.
You do not know about the difference between LED Bulb and METAL Bulb? Don’t worry, many people misunderstand brightness just by Watt figures as you. Let’s find out the answer with us by this post.
1.What is the LED?
- Recent environmentally friendly technology
- Low power absorption = small engine required (1 or 2 cylinders) meaning low fuel consumption
- High efficient Lumen/Watt ratio
- Available in different powers (65, 150, 185, 240, 320 Watt) depending on model and on customer’s need
2.What is the Metal Halide?
- Traditional technology, still common but will be totally replaced in a short/medium term
- High illuminating power, but comparable to the 320W LED’s one
- High power absorption = big engine required (3 cylinders) meaning high fuel consumption
- Only 1000W version available
3.Comparison of the LUMEN in LED and METAL
First, let’s get an understanding of LUMEN and LUX in the light measurement.
The numbers below represent “fixture lumens”, which is a more accurate, exact measure of actual usable light. Most light tower manufacturers only list “bare bulb lumens” for metal halide light towers, which is a rating of the maximum available lumens from a brand-new metal halide bulb. But, when the bulb is placed in a fixture, you can lose up to 50% of bare bulb lumen output right away.
As can be seen, the simple comparison of LUMENS, would give as almost overwhelming the power of Metal halide compared with the new LED lamps. But then, why invest in LEDs? Because LUMENS don’t say everything, on the contrary…
4.About the Coverage
Lumens don’t really tell you what you need to know. Instead, look at the light coverage maps which show the area covered at different foot candle thresholds. When you compare our 320W LED Vs. 1100W Metal halide tower (below), you can see that the light output from the LED tower is more focused and directional, with less light spilling to the sides.
5.Kelvin Color Temperature
Metal halide bulbs change temperature with bulb degradation, so the color will not be consistent throughout the lifetime of the bulb. LEDs provide better, more consistent light. Kelvin Color Temperature examples can be seen below.
As a leader in keeping up with the latest trends in modern appliances, NISHIO has launched and renting some of the best LED lights on the market today, such as:
If you have any questions about LED bulb equipment, please do not hesitate to contact us!